This department consists of three doctors, three traditonal Thangka painters or artists, a office secretary and one museum in-charge and a curator, in total of nine staff members.
AIMS & OBJECTIVE
The main objective of this deparment is aimed at publishing works on Six Volumes of proper Indentification of Tibetan Medicinal Plants and also to direct and control the quality of raw materials used in the production of pills and herbal compounds. The quality control management is carried out through both traditional and modern qulaity assurance while keepping optimum preferneces on safety measurement. Books have been beautifully illustrated with wonderful pictures of each plant and shows materia medica: parts used, its tastes, post-digestive taste, nature and its uses and also presented botanical, scientific family name, English common names, as well as Tibetan and Hindi names. Giving lectures to medical students once in every month on introductional and identification of medicinal plants to bring out standardization of its course.
LIST OF BOOKS PUBLISHED by MMD
- The first Vol. of the ” A Clear Mirror of Tibetan medicinal Plants.” Tibetan Version 1994.
- The first Vol. of the ” Clear Mirror of Tibetan medical Plants.” English Version, 1999.
- The Second Vol. of the ” Clear Mirror of Tibetan medicinal Plants.” Tibetan Version 2009.
- The Second Vol. of the ” Clear Mirror of Tibetan medicinal Plants.” English Version, 2009.It is embedded with 151 Tibetan medicinal plants in Vol 1 and 152 Tibetan medicinal plants in Vol 2 with their Tibetan synonyms, class of materia medica, parts used and morphological descriptions.
- ”A key Dictionary of Synonyms on Tibetan Materia medica.”, Tibetan Version, 1998.This book has been compiled Dri-Med Shel-phreng, a precious book on Tibetan medicinal herbs authored by renowed Tibetan physician De’u – Mar Geshe Tenzin Phuntsok and many other books. They are 5603 different synonyms of Tibetan Materia medica with their species classification, taste, potency and medicinal benefits.
- The ” Tibetan Medicinal plants ” 2001. A collaborated work with Men-Tsee-Khang, Institute of Pharmocognosy and the Institute of Botany- University of the Agricultural Sciences, University of Vienna, Austria. For more info. visit: www.medpharm.de OR www.crcpress.com.
- Compilation Researched and Integration of Materia Medica of Tibetan Medicine, Ayurveda, Unani, Sidha and Chinese medicine. 2008.This book has elaborate defination on the classification and types of plants-base of materia medica of Ayurveda, Unani and Chinese medicine. It defines the range of Habitat and altitude of plants grown all over including Tibet, Himalayan belts ans North and South of India and other parts of the world too. 335 beautiful illustration colored photographs of medicinal plants ranging from tree to herb and aromatic medicines are explained intensively throgh twenty five different sections.
- “A Handbook of Tibetan medicinal Plants. ” in 2008.This book contains the description of nearly 200 Tibetan medicinal plants, including herbs, shrubs and trees. These plants thrive in the picturesque Kangra valley against the backdrop of majestic Dhauladhar Mountain range in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India. The book also provides the information regarding the flowering or fruiting seasons of the plants and the environment conditions or habitats in which the plants thrive.
- Encyclopedia of Myriad Herbs. Tibetan version Vol.1 2015.(Medicinal Herbs in TIbetan Medical Tradition)
- Encyclopedia of Myriad Herbs. English version Vol.2 2016(Medicinal Herbs in TIbetan Medical Tradition)This book illustrates the medicinal plants with 360 of their images and clearly describes the concept of ” seven essential limbs of standardizing medicinal plants” and the concept of potency and quality of five cosmo-physical elements, which is the foundation of every antidotes of illness, with pictures and diagrams.
- Cultivation and Conservation of Endangered Medicinal plants. Vol.1 2016.The book contains 325 Tibetan medicinal plants pictured illustration, including herbs, shrubs and trees which are endangerd in the Trans-Himalayan belts, tropical and sub- tropical India. The cultivation of Endangered Medicinal plants is the first of its kind that is accordance with both traditional knowledge and modern methods of cultivation and mainly based on traditional knowledge, the author’s personal experience and observations and practical experiments performed in the field.
- A Concise book on the usage and benefits of various esssential diet. Vol. 1 2016.This book is mainly concerned on Dietary guidelines to Healthy Eating and Living. Our dietary patterns are made up of foods and drinks. It contains major food groups with pictures and its usage, medicinal benefits, source, nomenclature and details of precautions to be taken while you are having certain kind of food. Complete guidelines for maintaining optimal health through diet as we consume food and drinks regularly for a living.
- The refined quintessence of Tibetan Sowa Rigpa’s Materia Medica seen in the Domains of Compounding Medicines.The main purpose of writing this book is to illustrate the Traditional Methods of compounding of all eight categories of Materia medica cited in the Tibetan medical texts, and to easily know the commonly and rarely used ingredients. The modus operandi for detoxifiation of individual ingredients is specifically mentioned under the explanations provided for the particular ingredients.
- Seventy nine Traditional Medical and one scholary thangka of HH the Vth Dalai Lama with total of 80 Traditional Medical thangkas and Thirty two Asrto- science paintings ( Thangka ) have been completed.
AUTHER IN PROGRESS
- Encyclopedia of Myriad Herbs. Vol.3( Medicinal Herbs in TIbetan Medical Tradition)
- Clear Mirror of Tibetan medical Paintings.” Vol.3
- ”Clear Mirror of Tibetan medical Paintings.” Vol.4
- Practical Course on Sowa- Rigpa Mild therapy.
Researchers, scholars and interested students/candidates are cordially requested to visit our Museum for further information and we have number of book copies and paintings to sell.